CONTROLLER (Full-Time/ Exempt)
ORGANIZATION DESCRIPTION: Established in 1968, Inquilinos Boricuas en Acción, Inc. (IBA) empowers and engages individuals and families to improve their lives through high quality affordable housing, education and arts programs.
JOB SUMMARY: IBA seeks a versatile, proven Controller with experience in accounting standards relevant to tax exempt organizations. Competitive candidates will offer experience and skills related to: financial reporting, month-end and year-end closing, Federal and state contracts, along with their related compliance requirements, budget process, and reporting to stakeholders such as funding sources. The Controller reports to the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
The Controller plays a central role on the Finance team, which is responsible for the development, maintenance, direction and oversight of IBA’s finance and accounting activities. The Controller works independently and collaboratively with staff. The Controller has the primary responsibility of accurately maintaining the general ledger in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), preparation of grant and contract financial reports, including the related billings, and maintaining financial processes to promote a strong control structure.
The Controller position requires excellent attention to detail, problem-solving skills, communication, organizational, and computer skills, as well as the ability to exercise professional discretion and discernment, independent judgment, and business acumen. Without exception, the Controller position requires a proven track record of trustworthiness, personal accountability, and exceptional ethics. The Controller should have a depth of knowledge over GAAP requirements, with an emphasis on those relevant to tax exempt organizations and those operating in the real estate development industry. In addition, the Controller, should have experience with Federal and state contracts, along with their associated compliance requirements.
- Process all accounts receivable transactions, billings and cash receipts in a paperless work environment.
- Post daily cash activity in the books and records.
- Complete monthly general ledger account reconciliations supporting the balances reflected in the financial statements.
- Record payroll activity to the books and records bi-weekly.
- Prepare monthly financial reports for review by the CFO and once reviewed, disseminate reports to Program Directors.
- Serve as resource to the Staff Accountant in their role of processing all transactions over the cash disbursement and payroll transaction cycles.
- Together with the CFO, facilitate the annual audit process for IBA and its affiliates.
- Prepare budgets for philanthropic funding opportunities, as well as complete financial reports required by IBA’s funding sources.
- Develop and implement an effective billing system that assures that all services are billed correctly and timely, and include proper documentation, and minimizes the time necessary to collect payments.
- Together with the CFO, coordinate and complete the annual budgeting process.
- Must have the highest integrity, be diplomatic, analytical, and possess sound judgment.
- Participates fully in the organization’s annual events, Three Kings Day, Board Election, Festival Betances, and other events related to the community.
- Bachelor degree and seven to ten years of progressive professional accounting experience.
- Candidates should have a minimum of 4 years’ experience as Controller with a nonprofit that had an annual budget of at least $6,000,000.
- Experience with Federal and state contracts, including their related compliance and audit requirements is required.
- Familiarity with specialized tax-exempt industry accounting practices, reporting requirements and procedures is required.
- Experience with the real estate industry and more particularly affordable housing is preferred.
- CPA license is preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) candidates with strong verbal and writing abilities are strongly preferred.
- High degree of computer literacy with excellent knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and data base software application required
- Working Knowledge of accounting systems, preferably, Sage 50 Accounting, and proficiency in Microsoft Excel required. Experience with iSolved (payroll) a plus.
- Acumen in maintaining accurate financial records and preparing clear and accurate reports for informational, auditing, and operational use.
- Strong quantitative analysis capabilities, with the ability to read, analyze, interpret and explain complex financial data.
- Experience with allocations of shared costs; familiarity with US Government negotiated indirect rates and methodologies a plus.
- Possesses the following characteristics: self-starter, problem solver, strong interpersonal skills, organizes, detail oriented, strong work ethic, and effective communicator.
- Ability to translate executive-level organizational goals into specific program initiatives.
- Passionate belief in the potential of low-income communities and IBA’s mission.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
IBA is proud to offer very competitive pay, commensurate with experience, and a robust benefit plan that includes a robust benefit plan with an 80/20 premium cost share for comprehensive health, dental and vision insurance; a generous HRA provided by the company ($8,550 or $17,100 based on single and family coverage) and other built in supports that significantly reduces or eliminates out of pocket medical expenses. We offer a 401K plan with annual employer contribution, generous paid time off and free parking (limited availability).
IBA is located in Boston’s historic South End in an ethnic and culturally rich Latin and broadly diverse BIPOC community. IBA management and staff represent the community as majority BIPOC and Spanish bilingual. Our commitment to inclusion, equity and empowerment is inherent in IBA’s mission, imbedded in our values and demonstrated in the ways we work together to achieve mission impact and outcome goals.
TO APPLY: Please submit a resume and cover letter to: https://ibaboston.isolvedhire.com