Credit Building Specialist
|Position:||Credit Building Specialist|
|Organization:||Inquilinos Boricuas en Accion (IBA)|
|FLSA Classification||Full-time, Non-Exempt|
|Supervisor||Director of College and Financial Empowerment (CAFÉ) Program|
IBA-Inquilinos Boricuas en Acción (IBA) is a dynamic community development corporation in Boston’s South End neighborhood formed in 1968. IBA’s mission is to empower and engage individuals and families to improve their lives through high-quality affordable housing, education, and arts programs.
Through an innovative partnership with Bunker Hill Community College, IBA’s College and Financial Empowerment Program (CAFÉ) serves as a mini-satellite campus in the heart of an affordable housing community. The program offers youth and young-adults High School Equivalency / GED preparation courses, English as a Second Language classes, college courses, academic advising, financial empowerment workshops, and financial coaching.
Position Summary: In a strategic effort to expand credit building services for hard-to-reach populations, IBA was awarded, in collaboration with United Way and Boston Builds Credit, a grant to hire two Credit Building Specialists who will work at two community colleges in the Boston area: Bunker Hill Community College (BHCC) and Roxbury Community College (RCC). The Credit Building Specialists will conduct outreach to Bunker Hill’s community of 13,000 students and Roxbury’s community of 6,000 students, holding credit-building workshops and conducting one-on-one financial coaching sessions. The Credit Building Specialists will have a professional background in personal finance and a proven track record developing, providing, and leading culturally proficient financial coaching and education for adults. This is a grant funded program for two years. Success metrics will determine if the program and funding will be extended.
This position is for you if you:
- Have the ability and desire to work with college students and adults of all ages in a college setting.
- Want to be part of a mission-based organization serving the evolving needs of individuals.
- Have the ability to effectively engage students and others re personal finances and credit.
- Have a customer service orientation with strong commitment to timely follow-through.
- Are able to work autonomously and in a team setting.
- Are well organized and detailed.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develop and regularly lead workshops, seminars, and events with students. Introduce students to credit, why it is important, and provide fundamentals on how to establish and maintain good credit.
- Conduct one-on-one financial coaching sessions. After completion of the workshop, follow up individually with students through a coaching session.
- Help students create a budget, set financial goals, identify opportunities for saving, obtain a copy of their credit report, and develop a credit action plan.
- Provide opportunities for students to have follow up meetings at 6 and 12 months to review their most recent credit reports and identify strategies for continuing to build their credit health.
- Utilize Boston Builds Credit’s broader public awareness campaign materials within the environment of BHCC to raise awareness of all students to the importance of credit and the steps they can take to building their own scores.
- Build a pipeline of students interested in regular coaching through workshops and other marketing materials.
- Identify and cultivate strategic partnerships with BHCC, RCC and IBA staff to ensure credit building services are integrated with relevant academic and administrative departments.
- Support high-quality data collection efforts.
- Meet or exceed measurable goals for participation and outcomes.
- Regularly attend United Way’s financial coaching community of practice
- Participate fully in the organization’s annual events, Three Kings Day, Membership Drive, Board Election, Festival Betances, and other events related to the community.
- Carries out ad hoc duties as needed.
Skills / Qualifications
- Commitment to the program objectives of United Way, Boston Builds Credit and IBA’s mission.
- Minimum 2 – 3 years’ experience in financial services, credit, and coaching.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Education, Business or related field preferred
- Experience and/or ability to conduct outreach and effectively engage individuals.
- Experience providing workshops and seminars to small and large groups.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bilingual English / Spanish preferred.
Additional Information: The Credit Specialists will be assigned to work at BHCC or RCC four days a week and one day a week at IBA office for supervision check-ins with the CAFÉ Program Director. Travel between the sites will be required. The Specialists will also have scheduled check-ins with the United Way financial coaching network director to support continued professional development while in role.
Skills / Qualifications
- $46,000- $52,000 commensurate with experience
- Eligible for IBA benefits including health and dental insurance, 401k, paid time off
HOW TO APPLY
Send your cover letter and resume to:
IBA-Inquilinos Boricuas en Acción
405 Shawmut Avenue
Boston MA, 02118
FOR THIS AND MORE JOB OPPORTUNITIES VISIT: /jobs