Latinas En Foco/ Latinas In Focus
July 20th and 21st, 2019
Villa Victoria Community
100 W. Dedham St., South End
New England’s longest-running Latino Cultural Celebration.
What is Festival Betances?
Festival Betances has become a staple in New England’s Latino community. Every year it draws a 3,000 multi-cultural audience. Through the years, Betances’ stage has seen multiple musical and dance performances, ranging from local and regional acts to international Latin music icons such as Larry Harlow from Fania All Stars, Tony Vega, and Tito Rojas.
The Festival is named after Ramón Emeterio Betances, a Puerto Rican patriot whose medical contributions benefited Latin America, the Caribbean, and the United States. He also became a leader in awakening national consciousness in Puerto Rico, and is considered one of the foremost intellectuals of the 19th century. There is a plaza and a mural dedicated to him where the festival is held.
Our family-friendly weekend includes: a parade, traditional cuisine, arts and crafts, a greased pole competition, children’s activities like face painting and inflatables, and other treats that highlight the diversity of Latino culture.
Let us know what you’re most excited about for Festival Betances this year on our event page!
“A perfect display of the power of the arts within a community. A gathering of people from all walks of life all thanks to Latino culture and the work done at IBA.” – Alex Alvear, musician and former performance manager at IBA
Get Involved With Your Community
- Volunteer: If you’d like to donate your time while having some fun, check out our volunteering options for any of the days the festival will be running then apply to be a volunteer. (link coming soon)
- Participate in the Parade: Festival Betances hosts an annual parade and everyone is welcome to participate, from dance troupes to sports teams, groups of friends, or companies. If you are interested in taking part, fill out the Parade Form. (link coming soon)
- Compete in the Domino Tournament. Festival Betances hosts an annual Domino Tournament every Saturday and Sunday of the Festival. Sign up for this year’s tournament. (link coming soon)
- Artisan Vendors: If you're interested in selling your artisan goods, (link coming soon)
- Food Vendors: Festival Betances loves its food! If you want your food at Betances, (link coming soon)
- Info Tables: If you'd like to book an info table, (link coming soon)
If you want to become a sponsor, keep an eye on this page! Sponsorship info coming soon.
Follow us on social media for artist reveals, exciting updates, and more info!